Friday, May 1, 2009

Mirror, mirror on the wall

I don't like what I see at all.

Self image is something that I believe all of us deal with at one time or another. You'd think that I'd move beyond that at my age but just this morning I looked in the mirror and did not like what I saw looking back at me. So, how am I supposed to instill self esteem in my children, especially my daughters? Fortunately, the answer is simple: turn to God's Word.

1 Samuel 16: tells us of how Samuel was on a mission to find the one who would be king of Israel. He was certain that he had found the one the Lord wanted when he cast his eyes upon Eliab but God told him differently. He told Samuel in verse 7 "The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."

What precious words to remember in times of not liking what I see in the mirror! And how I want to instill them in my children's minds. The next time I look in the mirror, I want to hold up a mirror to my heart as well and make sure that what is there is pleasing to my Lord.

3 comments:

  1. What a valuable lesson. Thank you so much.

    The Raggedy Girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has always been one of my favorite verses. When you're raised in a very tradition-oriented church and you begin a journey away from tradition to truth, you learn very early on not to think much of man's opinions of you. Having said that, as women I think this is an issue we struggle with most, if not all, of our lives. Oh how the Lord desires that we simply trust Him to mold us into what He wants us to be!

    Many hugs.......

    Di

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooohhhhh I sincerely appreciated your thoughts today...Athella

    ReplyDelete