Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A lesson learned

Last night Julianna tried to make oatmeal but she didn't measure the water correctly so it didn't turn out. Instead of dumping the pan in the trash, she rinsed it out in the sink. Of course, that clogged up the drain. She tried her hardest to unclog it but nothing worked. Up until that point, I had no idea all of this had happened. After she had tried everything she could do on her own, she came to me for help.

How many times have I done that with God? I face a problem and try to fix it on my own. After I've done everything humanly possible to make it right, I go to the Lord and ask him to not only fix the original problem but also what I've inevitably made even worse. I can almost picture God shaking His head and asking Himself "when will that child ever learn?"

I have to admit, I didn't handle this well last night. I was tired and was heading to bed when Julianna came to me. The sink did not want to unclog, I knocked over the sugar container and spilled a cup of cold coffee all over the counter. I was grumbling louder than I thought because Julianna heard me and thought I was angry with her. I told her that I wasn't angry at her at all but I could see how she might think that. I'm so thankful that God handles our mistakes and mishaps so much better than we do.

2 comments:

  1. I love your lessons about God taken from your family life. Isn't it so much fun to have a blog?

    Have a Wonderful Wednesday.
    from Roberta Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done the same myself, we want to control and must let God have the control, this is a wonderful blog, thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete