Friday, March 20, 2009

Words can cut like a knife

Yesterday I posted about how I want my words to be kind, used to build people up and not tear them down. Sadly enough, there are many people in this world who think nothing of saying unkind, hurtful words to others, never realizing how badly they can cut through someone's soul. My daughter Julianna is going through something like this right now. There are all sorts of rumors flying through her school about her and I can see the hurt in her eyes when she tells me what's being said about her.

My Thursday night ladies Bible Study is going through Beth Moore's "Believing God" and last night's lesson was on the power of the tongue. Don't you just love God's timing? She talked about the power that unkind words spoken to us can have over us. Then she goes on to say "Most of us have bought more of what others have said than we'd like to admit. Dear one, the time has come to believe God. The time has come to renounce words others have spoken over us that don't line up with the truth of God's Word."

I came home from Bible Study last night and was able to share that with my daughter. She knows she's a child of God and that she is fearfully and wonderfully made. That's what she needs to take hold of; who God says she is. This isn't to say that unkind words won't still hurt but now she has God's Word to help her not to believe them. She has a tool to help her define herself by what God says about her, not unkind words from other people.

How about you? Are you still hearing unkind things that may have been spoken to you or about you? I am. Today, let's start thinking of ourselves the way God does. We are daughters of the King!!

4 comments:

  1. Colossians 4:6 Let your speech always be with grace, is one of my favorite verses I recite often. Speech can be so hurtful, I will pray for your daughter, God bless ! Have a great day !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often worry about careless words. Yesterday I wrote out some careless words and now after an apology I wait for a reassuring answer. I did not mean to cause offense but may have and that makes me feel so bad. And this morning I stated that there was something that was very important in my life and almost immediately I heard that it was a bad thing and I can say that my tummy got into a knot as I wondered if it was just careless words or a message addressed to me. I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve and need people to like me and careless words can really hurt. Anyway I do know what you are talking about and so admire my hubby who does not ever say anything wrong...actually he hardly says anything and there may be another lesson in that.

    Have A Fantastic Friday
    from A Raggedy Roberta Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cyn, as you know from experience, I am all too guilty of being on the 'giving' end. I don't mean to be hurtful, but sometimes my short, curt replies come off a little too harshly. I'm sure several factors in my background make it second nature to me (my own hurt, more than 21 years in the Marine Corps, etc), but reasons are not excuses.

    I pray every day for God's goodness to break through that in me.

    I love you and pray for all of you. I'm so sorry Julianna is going through this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who is saying stuff about julianna and what are they saying????

    ReplyDelete